[ale] Edubuntu Local Apps and Hard Drives : was Need Help sending PCs to Haiti

Doug Hall doughalldev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 11:08:55 EDT 2012

Regarding Squid, I haven't actually implemented one myself, but
considered it for a school I was helping. Before I could, their
Windows-biased IT support people screwed up my LTSP setup, so I'm out
of the picture, now. :-( Their loss.

If the web browser (Firefox) is running on the server (by default), it
*may* use the same cache for everyone, anyway. You should look this
up, because I don't know for sure. If you decide to make Firefox a
local app (include it in the bootable image), then you'll definitely
benefit from a Squid server. Certain programs which are
graphics-intensive (like Tux Paint and Tux Math) should be local apps.
They run too slowly when several people are using it at the same time.

Doug