[ale] [OT] Mars Lander!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 6 13:17:01 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 16:50 +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> America hasn't "enforced" its view.   Any other country that things
> they can send something the size of a Smart Car and have it roam
> around after successfully landing it is welcome to do so.   Of course
> they would have to insure it didn't get in the path of ours on the
> surface...
>
> By the way according to this article the original Pathfinder Sojourner
> rover that wowed us all a few years back was only 23 pounds.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourner_%28rover%29#Sojourner_rover

IIRC...  The early Viking probes were running some sort of variation of
AIX.  One of them got into software trouble after landing on Mars that
threatened the mission.  Then they realized they had inadvertently left
a debugging option enabled that allowed them to get into the probe and
fix the problem remote.  It was the first interplanetary hack!  Well, at
least the first one done by us humans at least.  :-P