[ale] Mount extra partition under the /media subdirectory at boot

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Aug 3 11:40:55 EDT 2012

With appologies to one and all. This is documented somewhere in my old
notes which are somewhere in a big home cleanup initiated by adult
children who think their old man needs more than all the help he can get.
Well, the children are probably right. But the main machine for the house
died dead, and I need it working with the old files.

Of course, if there is a better way to do this...

Essentially, in the past I have used a dirt standard install (Fedora in
the past, Centos this time), with the children's accounts created on
/home, which is it's own partition. Since I also host several GB of family
pictures and such, for use by said children and myself, I created a large
partition which mounted under the /media directory at boot time. As I
recall, (personal notes are missing), I assign ownership to
nobody:nobody, with permissive permissions to each of the files, and dump
all those shared family files into a hierarchy /media/media.

Almost certainly not the canoniacal (sp?) way to approach the problem, but
it has worked for several years. Except that I'm needing to rebuild
hardware at the same time getting ready for teaching a new class at
school. (Time for fixing stuff is in short supply at the moment.)

Memory claims there is some approach using a "label" command, and
something else to get this partition to automount at boot. I'm just not
finding the documentable details at the moment...

If anybody has an appropriate clue bat to beat me with, and the energy to
weild it - I shore would appreciate it. Meantime, back to coursework and
searching...

Thanks to one and all for putting up with me