[ale] comcast business + mail server = static ip?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 1 14:22:18 EDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 12:09 PM, Robert wrote:
> I've just had comcast business class installed, and I want to move
> my mailserver over to it. However, I'm being cheap and trying not to
> pay the extra $15/mo for a static ip.  I think I've read that their
> dhcp addresses rarely change.. I can monitor it, and use dns update
> to tweak my ip if it changes... with a 4hour ttl, I don't expect to
> miss much, if any, mail if the ip changes..
>
> what concerns me more is that the reverse dns will be comcast's
> c-x-x-x-x.hsd1.ga.comcast.net...  I know that technically reverse dns
> doesn't have to match the mail server's name, but some other servers
> might be too picky about it.. so I was wondering if anyone with
> comcast business class is running a mailserver using their assigned
> dhcp address? If so, have you had any issues?

I have a netblock through them, and that's what I have been using.

That said, if you're using a DHCP address, you absolutely need to have
an MX somewhere else.

If you're willing to setup IPv6, you can MX yourself on your own IPv6
address, though you'll still need an IPv4 MX to handle things for you to
ensure that you can get the mail.

Instead of paying $15/mo to Comcast, pay $20/mo to Linode, and use
*that* as your mailserver instead.  :-)

That said, double-check the rate for a single static IP.  I am paying
$30/month for a /28, if memory serves.  When I had a /29, I was paying
$20/month extra.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”