[ale] GnuCash [OT]

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Aug 1 13:32:17 EDT 2012

OK I misunderstood your earlier email.   However, as I noted before whether you signed such a thing for the State of Georgia and not the IRS is immaterial.   Court findings were generally that if you CAN pay and don't there is no excuse and you become personally liable.   I saw these cases at all levels (city, county, state, IRS,  SSN etc...).

If you are able to generate payroll tax payments to the IRS (and SSN) but for any reason do not do so you are personally responsible.     If you have access to the checks and can write them you must do so.  If you have signing authority for checks written by others you must sign.  If you are in the mail room you must mail the checks.   ANY place where an individual COULD have effected the payment being made but DIDN'T they become personally responsible.    Orders to the contrary are deemed illegal by the courts so even if you're a lowly mail clerk and the CEO of your Fortune 500 company comes and tells you NOT to mail the checks that just landed on your desk you can become personally responsible for the payment if it is never made.

There were also cases about business partners/ex-spouses that had clearly violated the law unbeknownst to the other party but the courts have generally held they are responsible still because of the linked nature of the taxes.   I think subsequent law has changed some of the latter though - these days divorced spouses have to show custody orders to claim children.   In the past even with such orders where a wife clearly had custody and claimed the children she'd end up being held accountable because the deadbeat dad had also claimed the children and HE couldn't pay.

Many of the cases I read boggled my mind by the apparent unfairness or unreasonableness implied.  (What mail room clerk is going to argue with a CEO?).   However in reality it is very simple:  If you don't want to become personally liable for a payment you have ignore such orders and let them fire you.   (Ideally what you'd actually do is resign before the payment was due so you couldn't be seen as the one that impeded the remittance.)