[ale] comcast business + mail server = static ip?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 1 12:52:55 EDT 2012

Robert,

Robert <rs at ale.spam.futz.org> writes:

> I've just had comcast business class installed, and I want to move my
> mailserver over to it. However, I'm being cheap and trying not to pay the
> extra $15/mo for a static ip.  I think I've read that their dhcp addresses
> rarely change.. I can monitor it, and use dns update to tweak my ip if it
> changes... with a 4hour ttl, I don't expect to miss much, if any, mail if the
> ip changes..
>
> what concerns me more is that the reverse dns will be comcast's
> c-x-x-x-x.hsd1.ga.comcast.net...  I know that technically reverse dns doesn't
> have to match the mail server's name, but some other servers might be too
> picky about it.. so I was wondering if anyone with comcast business class is
> running a mailserver using their assigned dhcp address? If so, have you had
> any issues?

Are you looking to use it for incoming or outgoing email?  For incoming
you should be fine.  Just get your MX pointing to you and email will
flow to your server.

You will, however, have issues for outgoing email because most of the
large ISP dynamic IP blocks are in the DNSBLs due to spamming.  You will
probably need to use Comcast's email server as an outgoing gateway, or
use some other gateway for an email account you own.

> Robert

-derek