[ale] [OT] Home PBX?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 1 12:00:46 EDT 2012

Jim,

Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> writes:

> Hi, Derek,
>
> I had to laugh at this response.  Many of you know that Derek has been
> involved in the gnucash project for a long time.  For some reason that's
> been lost to me in my advanced years, I had to compile gnucash from
> source once.   It is perhaps the most complex compile I've ever done
> with dozens of dependencies and requirements.

Have you ever tried building Firefox or OpenOffice?  GnuCash PALES in
comparrison.  But you're right, GnuCash historically was hard to build.
It's much easier nowadays.

> Compiling FreeSwitch is a breeze.  The instructions on the web site are
> mostly complete and easy to follow.  It takes about an hour on a
> reasonable system.

The issue isn't the challenge in building the code.  I'm sure it's
straightforward (although an hour to build is still too much time,
IMHO).  The issue is maintaining the system and upgrading.  That's why I
want a packaged solution, so that when I update the system the package
gets updated, too.  Otherwise I not only need to upgrade the system but
then I need to spend yet another hour rebuilding FreeSwitch.  That's
what I want to avoid.  My time is precious.  :)

> Once you've done that, the configuration is so much simpler than
> Asterisk.  The time invested in compiling is off set by the less time it
> takes to configure FreeSwitch.
>
> Derek, I'm not picking on you but it did strike me as hilarious.  If
> I've offended you, please accept my apologies.

Not at all offended.  I'm honored that you recognized me from my
previous work and involvements.  It's just that my priorities are
different when it comes to maintaining systems; I want to limit whatever
work I need to do.

I have been willing to backport packages (e.g. I had to upgrade postfix
on my mail server when I turned on IPv6).  However I do want everything
in a package.

Thanks!

> Jim.

-derek