[ale] Slightly OT: Where do you get decent Batteries?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 23:02:03 EDT 2012

+1 for batteries plus.
+2 for do several (2-3) full charge/discharge cycle before deciding a new
battery is crap. Charge fully means overnight ( 8 - 12 hours) and discharge
means until the device flat dies (which of course totally sucks for phones
as you now have a dead phone).

side note: my first gen moto droid phone is STILL on it's original battery
after nearly 4 years. Wife's Eris is on it's second replacement battery.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 for Batteries Plus, though I haven't personally bought from them, I
> have heard good reports about them from people on this list. Also, be aware
> that most of the current generation of rechargeable [LiON, probably not
> anything in the way of smart devices still using NiCad] batteries are
> "smart" devices and need a couple of charge/discharge cycles for the chip
> to learn the capacity of the battery. Note that any new device comes with
> instructions (if you bother to RTFM) that say to fully charge the battery
> before using the device. If you want longer run time, you can get high
> capacity batteries that come with enlarged rear covers for most of the
> common smart phones at pretty good rates from Ebay. Probably shipping from
> China, but that's where everything is made anyways.
>
> Best,
> Greg
>

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Matthew <simontek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I goto Batteries Plus, in Savannah, I had a biz account with them, they
>> also sent advanced laptop repair to me. (anything that required a soldering
>> iron.)
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:
>>
>>> **
>>> Ok, our new post-Easter ritual is to obtain new batteries for all the
>>> devices that need them.  I think that has some theological validity.
>>>
>>> But where does one go for honest replacement batteries for Smartphones
>>> or Laptops?   Getting a replacement for a cordless drill seems obvious, but
>>> smartphones, yeesh.
>>>
>>> You can't go to Amazon - they do absolutely nothing to police their
>>> vendors, most of which are peddling used batteries or knockoffs.
>>>
>>> I finally ordered one for my HTC incredible (see, it was almost on
>>> target) from Wireless EMporium, and it seems to be no better than the 2.5
>>> year old one the phone came with.
>>>
>>> Who do you trust?
>>>

>>> Neal Rhodes
>>> Lilburn.