[ale] pay rates vs. experience

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Sat Apr 28 10:52:40 EDT 2012

Sometimes when I get unsolicited inquiries from potential employers, I try
to find out why they're contacting me.  It is usually because of publicly
visible activities I've engaged in that show I am doing interesting things
and am motivated, like:

  * participating in highly technical usenet discussions (obsolete as such,
but
    a current version would be stackoverflow or something)

  * writing articles in magazines (SysAdmin is defunct, but Linux Journal
is still
    around)

  * speaking at open source conferences like SCALE

Now I'm at a gig where I have so much to do that I don't get time to do
these highly visible things.  But if I wanted to get more marketable
quickly for jobs using open source, I'd solve a real and interesting
problem using open source and give a talk about it at an open source
conference.

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/
  http://www.coraid.com/