[ale] semi ot anyone using obd ii automotive diagnostics

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Sat Apr 28 10:18:33 EDT 2012

Really depends on the make of vehicle as far as what things you can do and what
information exists about how to do them.  The more useful bits are on the class
2 power-train CAN bus which most makers also make accessible on the OBD-II
connector.  While there are specs on the communication protocols out there, most
vendors don't provide much or any detail on functional specifics outside of
their vendor tree and NDA.

Linux will begin to displace QNX in the automotive world over the next few
years.  I am very interested in talking with anyone who has ideas on how to
improve interactivity between a Linux based complete vehicle infotainment and
management system and us Office Spacers - particularly when it comes to tablets
and phones.  A few OEMs are offering Linux based solutions (Bosch with Cadillac
CUE and some Genivi projects) however they are all falling down.  I'd like my
effort to stand up!
-Alan