[ale] pay rates vs. experience

Matthew simontek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:42:58 EDT 2012

Hello. Haven't been on the list for a while. I currently work as a
systems engineer at crane nsa, in IN. I do not make much atm, BUT, I
have an awesome health package. And they pay for my certs and
training. Also get a security clearance out of it. Currently 8570,
(linux+ and sec+),but planning to get my rhce, and either ceh or
cissp. Are these certs still good any more?

Regards
SimonTek

On 4/27/12, Katherine Villyard <villyard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently saw a Windows admin position that wanted Active Directory,
> Group Policy, WSUS, SQL Server, etc., that was offering $37-40K.
> (Admittedly, it was an academic institution, but those are usually
> offering $45-75K for similar skills.)
>
> I'm thinking that the only takers they're going to get are:
>
> 1. Recent college grads.
> 2. Retirees.
>
> I'd say desktop techs who want to move into system administration, but
> that would be a pay cut for a lot of them.
>
> I've similarly seen linux jobs (also academic) that top out at
> $50-55K.  In fact, I interviewed for one of those because I thought it
> might get me where I want to go, if you know what I mean.  (If you
> don't, it would have gotten me solid experience with skills that would
> serve me well in a future job hunt.)
>
> Money's not everything, but let's not pretend we don't like groceries.  ;)
>

> - --
> Katherine
>
> "Time wounds all heels."
> - --Dorothy Parker
>

> On 4/27/2012 8:04 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
>> On the most recent posting on the Ale jobs list I had to laugh when
>> I saw a pay range of 65k-75k for everything THAT job entailed such
>> as SAN administration, managing 5000 domains in BIND just to name a
>> couple. Even funnier was that it was 6 months CTP – Really?  They
>> can’t figure out whether someone is worthwhile in 3 months?   True
>> you don’t really get fully up to speed in a new complex environment
>> in less than 6 months but it should be obvious long before that
>> whether you are CAPABLE of getting up to speed or not.

>>  *From:*ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] *On Behalf
>> Of *Jim Kinney *Sent:* Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:44 PM *To:*
>> Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux! *Subject:* [ale] pay
>> rates vs. experience
>>

>> One of the things I see as the admin for the list is the postings
>> for the ale-jobs list before everyone else. I've never rejected a
>> posting for having a crappy pay rate and never will.
>>
>> BUT....
>>
>> Given the state of things, economy, growth in demand for Linux
>> skills, number of qualified admins in the field, etc., maybe it's
>> time for a knock-down, drag out discussion on pay vs. experience.
>>
>> The last time I saw a usix pay chart was probably 2005. At that
>> time a RedHat EL admin wiiht a solid 5 years experience on the job
>> was worth an average $80k/yr with decent benefitsw (company health
>> insurance, retirement fund other than stock options, dental, etc).
>>
>> Windows admins with 5 years were around $65k.
>>
>> Solaris with 5 years got $90k. IRIX admins were looking for a new
>> OS to use.
>>
>> Oracle DBA with 5 years could grab $95k anywhere.
>>
>> Any professional certification added 5-10k to the above. Thos
>> numbers were nation-wide averages so no are specific cost of living
>> differentials.

> [...]

Sent from my mobile device

SimonTek
912-398-6704