[ale] Sync apache module

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Apr 23 16:04:49 EDT 2012

I'm looking for a method to open a TCP connection to apache (80/443) and
then issue a GET request that will execute a module that facilitates
real-time sync communication.  Like ssh, telnet, etc.  I've been using
proxy code that I've written, but with the state of companies locking
down firewalls it would be easier if I could go back to the source
instead of a different port.    I am tired of asking them to open up
_another_ port to my server.

I guess this would kinda be like SOCKS.  I want to do this from the
outside and the inside of the network!!!

I'll give you an example.  I have a device at a remote site that will
create a TCP connect back to me server on port XXXX.  To get this to
work I usually have to get their firewall staff to allow my device an
outbound connection back to my server.  Now, these folks typically allow
80/443 out.  If I can connect back to those it will make it easier.

Now on my own stuff (company owned) I have resorted to burning up an
extra public IP and simply using NAT to redirect 80 -> XXXX.  This works
great for me.  I can not ask my customers who also run this stuff to
burn up theirs.   I've dealt with embedded type devices that used Java
clients to do real-time stuff.  Specifically KVM over IP.  The devices I
tested almost always connected back to their source.  Either 80 or 443.
  The same port as their web server.

I'm thinking this problem has been solved and modification of Apache is
the last thing I want to do.

Chris