[ale] Question on RH

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:29:12 EDT 2012

On 4/20/12, Scott Steele <roninazure at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had someone ask me an interesting interview question today, The question
> is:
>
> "How does Red Hat Enterprise get created and how does its code flow?"
>
> Any thoughts?

Depends on what they were looking for. At the high level the Open
Source code comes in through Fedora and there's a lot of community
involvement/argument. Those things that RH wants to put into RHEL come
thorugh there and is reviewed and tweaked by the RH staff. RH does
more testing on software and combinations so they can support it. RH
engineers are often involved in the community.

In general a RHEL release like "6.2" is RHEL 6 with updated packages
that have gotten additional testing as a set before being released as
a set. It is a common misunderstanding that you can patch a RHEL 6.2
box; once you update an rpm it is no longer 6.2 but 6.2 plux updated
X.

RHEL software is supported for 5 years for some of the older stuff, I
think. They have just increased that to 7 years as a standard. You can
buy longer term support but upgrading is generally better.

Hope that helps.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>