[ale] Cable modem recommendation///SKYPE

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 18:35:04 EDT 2012

It seems every time Skype does an update, something craps out on Fedora. A
friend has a F16 laptop running skype with video. About every 3 months some
skype update breaks the ability to have video chats. About a week or two
later a Fedora update fixes things.

Given that mickysoft now p0wns Skype, It is time to migrate my friend of
skype (and his wife who runs a mac, and probably his Mom and Dad on
winders).

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

> Has anybody been able to keep Skype working on Fedora?  Best I can figure
> out the problem is an incompatable video driver.  I really would like to
> get Skype working again on this box if possible.
>
> Sean

> On Thursday, April 19, 2012 08:17:14 am Michael Campbell wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
> > > I have a friend using a Oomla http://www.ooma.com/products . Saw a
> > > sale last
> > > week for $140 on that - lifetime calling, but I think they must
> > > charge monthly
> > > for E911 by law.  This same friend tried the MagicJack on a PC for no
> > > other use
> > > and said it worked well enough, but he always felt slimy.
> >
> > A colleague of mine uses Ooma and raves about it.
> >
> > I use Skype dial-out (I can dial regular #'s with it), and it works
> > well enough for me.   I'm on business in Belgium right now, and I use
> > it to call my home phone in Atlanta on the anemic hotel wifi, and it
> > works very well with voice.  It also works moderately well with video
> > on a Skype-Skype call to home also.
> >
> > I don't have a Jihad against Microsoft, so I'll continue to use Skype
> > until a better valued option comes up, or it starts to suck.  So far
> > neither have happened.
> >
> > I haven't tried Google Voice from my computer to regular # yet, but I
> > might try that in the next couple days.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/