[ale] [OT] redmine mail config

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:00:01 EDT 2012

I have a mail server on my subnet at 192.168.100.25, Public IP 25.25.25.25
DNS mapped to example.org  (This is not mail.example.org or smtp.example.org
)
The mail server is Debian 6 running exim4 and though I never use a gui
client to read mail from it, it is possible to send it email and those
emails are forwarding to the interested parties with /home/user/.forward
directives.
Enter redmine.  I set it up with a gmail account and it sent email properly
whenever a ticket that you were connected with got updated.

Because I thought it would be better to have the support ticket data coming
from the domain for which they were created, I set the redmine mail
settings to use the local smtp server as MTA.  Since then we have not seen
an email from redmine.

I have tried setting the mailserver info several ways, but the first issue
is that our firewall does not allow looping from a local machine to the
internet to another local machine.  So I couldn't just set the smtp server
to example.org.  I had a bright idea and put this line into
redmine.example.org:
192.168.100.25     example.org
Now I could telnet either the local IP or the domain and it would connect.
telnet example.org 25  #or
telnet 192.168.100.25 25 # connected fine.
ping example.org #from redmine.example.org returns
root at TICKETING-01:~# ping -c 3 example.org
PING example.org (192.168.10.25) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from example.org (192.168.10.25): icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=1.99 ms
64 bytes from example.org (192.168.10.25): icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.223 ms
64 bytes from example.org (192.168.10.25): icmp_req=3 ttl=64 time=0.228 ms

--- example.org ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2000ms

Other machines on the network can send email through the smtp server.

I have both smtp and secure smtp available, but since the smtp operation
from redmine is internal I am using port 25
I have tried using the Private IP instead of the domain name
I have tried handling the username as
redmine
redmine at example.org
redmine+example.org
redmine at 192.168.100.25

No successes, and no errors on redmine's logs.
I suspect this is a really simple problem, however I am just not seeing it.

-Wolf

Has anybody on the list had a similar issue with redmine?