[ale] Fwd: External Hard Drive Encryption

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Apr 8 20:59:34 EDT 2012

On 04/08/2012 08:02 AM, JD wrote:
> Truecrypt is cross-platform, but the file system selected under it may not be.
> For example, mounting an ext4 file system under Windows isn't likely. I've never
> tried mounting an NTFS FS under Linux from a Truecrypt partition. It definitely
> requires admin rights to run, even the portable version.

FAT32 like on USB flash drives would be the best bet.

I've done drive encryption, but it scares me.  I'm so concerned that one
day decryption will become impossible due to changes in drivers,
methods, etc.  Maybe this is unfounded paranoia.

I'm am using openssl to do. individual encryption on compressed tar
balls.  Of course this is for archival storage and not day to day access
like the OP may require.

Chris