[ale] need tablet buying advice, bought nook, liked it, returned it

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 15:18:57 EDT 2012

On 04/03/2012 05:58 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm back on the tablet hunt again.  I bought a Nook yesterday, used
> the SD card trick to put CM7 on it without affecting the original
> system, really liked it, then returned it.  BN works so hard at
> foiling anyone trying to run something else, it's a major pain.  I
> got CM7 to boot, then shut down the tablet.  Rebooted into BN,
> since I wanted to be able to flip back and forth, and then tried to
> boot CM7 again.  I never got it running again.  I reflashed the SD
> card and tried again.  Again, I got CM7 to boot only once.  The BN
> software was 1.4.1 I think.  Anyway, while I really like the
> tablet, I just don't want to be fighting the big corp all the time
> to keep my alt version of the software running.  So, I'm back in
> the market and, if you all have experience with such things, I'd
> like some advice.
>
> I'd like to get the following minimum features.  The Nook didn't
> have some of these, but I wanted the ability to read BN books in
> the BN store.  I realize I won't be able to do that with another
> tablet.
>
> 7" or 10" screen (10" is probably not possible in my price range.)
> capacitive touch screen Android 3.2 or 4.x, or at least upgradable
> to 4.x. 1 GHz processor, preferably dual core 1 GB ram 16 GB flash
> sd or micro sd card slot front and back cameras microphone
> headphone jack hdmi output usb port (full USB functionality is
> preferable) access to full android market and google apps
> accelerometer wifi b/g Thin is good.  The nook is .48" and feels
> good in your hand.
>
> The following features would be nice to have but not critical.
>
> haptic feedback wifi b/g/n gps gyroscope ? (I saw this on a spec
> sheet somewhere.  Is that different from an accelerometer?  If so,
> what's it for?)
>
> I'd like to keep the price of the tablet itself under $ 320.
>
> I haven't studied all the specs yet on these, but my current
> candidates are:
>
> Acer Iconia 7 - Best Buy - $ 259 (or was it $ 269) Samsung Galaxy
> Tab 7 - Best Buy $ 300 (currently, normally $ 350)
>
> By the way, Best Buy now has 30 day returns, 30 day price match,
> and 30 days of tech support by phone.
>
> I'm sure there are other tablets which meet this criteria.  I'd
> appreciate your thoughts on this.  I don't want to root anything or
>  fight the designers to make it run.  The tablet has to run
> Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich natively.  I could go slightly
> higher in price, but I want to also have some money for a case,
> android book, etc.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

I had done the same going the external route with the SD chip, but was
sort of restricted to using it when the significant other is not home
as the Nook is hers. Well I have been successful in being able to cold
boot Android multiple times. My only issue is that it seems more
geared up for phone than tablet. Is there a way to remove the phone
stuff as klutzy me tends to hit the spots for phone use and of course
it seems to be laughing at me that I don't have a phone. Also I have
noticed that I lose my WiFi when I wake it up from it's nap, and then
later it works. At best I would say WiFi is a bit flaky.