[ale] laptop overheats before install completes

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Apr 4 15:12:07 EDT 2012

Hi Jim,

Your computer SHOULD be able to run at 100 percent capacity for an
extended period of time without overheating.  I'll second the advice
that Brian Mathis gave to clean the unit.  Here are some details you
want to check.

a) Make sure the fan is working at all.  It may not be on when the
computer is cool, but should definitely come on when the computer gets hot.
b) Make sure the fan intake, which is often on the bottom, is not
blocked and that the machine is not sitting on a soft surface, or even a
hard surface with no air gap.
c) Clean any dust out of the fan intake.  I've had these intakes to get
clogged before.  You can put a piece of wedding ribbon or other fine
mesh over the intake to help prevent dust accumulation inside the
machine.  Not too fine though or you'll reduce airflow too much.  Window
screen, however is too course.  You'll have to check this intake
periodically and clean it.
d) Get into the bios and make sure all cooling settings are maxed out,
set the fans to run at 100 % all the time (at least until you solve this
problem).
e) You may wish to get a laptop cooler pad, which has a fan, which blows
air up toward the laptop from the base.  I have a nice unit made by
Cooler Master, for two of my laptops that sit on a desk, that I bought
from Frys.  It has a very large and quiet fan that blows air upward.
Don't get a dirt cheap unit.  They have fans that are rated for less
than a year.  Get a nice unit, like the one I mentioned, with a fan with
BALL BEARINGS and not sleeve bearings.  Note that these don't provide
cooling in reality, just air flow, but that might be what you need.
f) If you open the computer up, look for the heat exchanger, which the
fan blows through, which may be attached to a heat pipe.  Very
carefully, clean dust out of the heat exchanger.  Note, on one of my
machines, it had a little bitty 1" heat exchanger, with all the air
flowing through that.  I found a glob of dust covering 3/4 of it from
the INSIDE.  Once I cleaned that, I found that the PC would stay within
it's thermal limits even under full load.
g) If you remove any heat exchangers or heat pipes, make absolutely sure
that all surfaces have a good thermal contact and seal when you put it
back together.  You may need to add / replace thermal paste as Brian
mentioned.  It only takes a tiny drop.
h) Once you get the OS running, install a temperature monitoring
software package.  This may be hard to get working depending on which
sensors are in the PC and which drivers are in the kernel.  On Windows,
you could use something like SpeedFan.
i) Set the cooling settings in the OS to maximum or active cooling.  I'm
not sure where this is in Ubuntu.  In Windows, it's in the power
settings.  These settings won't necessarily run the fan all the time.
However, if the system starts getting too hot, it will ramp up the fan
prior to throttling the CPU frequency.
j) Find out your CPU's maximum operating temperature.  This can be a
challenge.  Let me know if you need help and I'll dig through some old
bookmarks on the subject  Every CPU is different.  You have to find the
data sheet for your particular model.  All my laptops have Intel chips
and they can take around 100 degrees C.  More modern chips will
generally throttle their speed before shutting down, but only to a
point.  My 4 core AMD chip in my desktop can only take 62 degrees C.  I
had to go to liquid cooling to keep it from overheating under full CPU
load.  GPU temperature is a whole other matter.  Your laptop's cooling
system probably is attached to both the CPU and the GPU.
k) After you get the problem fixed and get your monitoring working, you
may (or may not) want to stress test the system.  If you want to, get
the Prime95 software from here:
      http://www.mersenne.org/     This software is designed to
calculate world record prime numbers that are important to
mathematicians.  However, it is also a great way to stress test the
system since it runs the CPU and memory to the max.  It doesn't do much
with the GPU.  You should be able to run the cpu flat out at 100 percent
without a problem overheating.  However, I wouldn't do this all the time
because it probably shortens the life of the system.  30 minutes to 1
hour for testing should not be a problem.

Hope this helps.  If you need any assistance and I can help, I'd be glad
to try.

Sincerely,

Ron