[ale] laptop overheats before install completes

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Wed Apr 4 13:38:04 EDT 2012

It's extremely low tech but I'd try pointing a fan at it and sitting it on
one (or more) of those ice packs. That should keep it cool long enough to
install. Just plan for condensation.

Brian

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Jim Philips <briarpatch.jim at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just trolling for possible solutions: My laptop has an ATI Radeon
> video card. Unless the Catalyst driver is installed, it quickly starts
> to overheat. I messed up my Ubuntu install, so now I want to
> reinstall. But when I try, about 50% of the files get copied to disk
> and then it slows down and finally shuts off due to overheating. This
> wasn't a problem earlier, but I think with each thermal shutdown, the
> laptop gets a little more susceptible to overheating. Once Catalyst is
> installed, everything works fine. But I can only install Catalyst if I
> complete the install of Ubuntu. Any workarounds anybody can think of?

The more laws and order are made prominent,
The more thieves and robbers there will be.*Lao-tzu*, *The Way of Lao-tzu*
*Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)*