[ale] OT: Deluxe office accommodations for the paranoid

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:43:36 EDT 2012

fav computer prank involved a pile of Linux machines in a pretty open
environment.

Evil user would sniff clueless (l)user password (pre-ssh days) and then
remotely launch xroach on the screen.

Part 2: Hacked head professors email client to have the email filtered
through the gnu talk filters set to 'jive'. Prof popped a gasket thinking
the GRANT PROPOSAL he just emailed had been converted as well.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 04/03/2012 11:02 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> > That last reminds of the time years ago where I modified a guy's
> > autoexec.bat to run c1s instead of cls.  The latter is the old DOS
> > clear screen and was typically in autoexec.bat as last command. The
> > former made it run a file I'd created called c1s.bat which changed
> > his prompt to "Barry can't find me".   He had told me he was as
> > good at computers as I was but he never figured out what was
> > setting his prompt.   I finally told him where it was when he was
> > about to reload the OS to get rid of it.  :-)
> >
> That reminds me of when I was working for Harris Computer Systems in
> Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They used a terminal for the console (I think
> Adtec(?)) that had several different colored lighted panels that
> indicated terminal/system status. Also the systems they made had a
> control panel with LEDs for all bits on the Data Bus (normal run mode)
> along with several switches such as Halt, Master Clear & Reset. The
> name of the OS was Vulcan and on a system shutdown the system would
> display Vulcan Quiescent on the console terminal and the LEDs on the
> control panel would be toggeling in a reptitive pattern on the lower
> bits. This signified that it was safe to latch up Master Clear and
> power off.
>
> A couple of us had written a script that would cause the system to
> display the Vulcan Quiescent message along with displaying the pattern
> on the control panel mentioned earlier. When the tech that was
> assigned to this particular test station system left for break, we ran
> the script. When he returned he saw what appeared to be his system as
> having shutdown, so he latched up Master Clear and powered off. The
> system was actually running with lots of system files open and being
> written too. Remember the days of Sysgen? About 4 hrs later he was
> able to continue.
>

> > -----Original Message----- From: ale-bounces at ale.org
> > [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Ness Sent:
> > Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:24 AM To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
> > Subject: Re: [ale] OT: Deluxe office accommodations for the
> > paranoid
> >
> > On Monday, April 02, 2012 03:42:23 PM Jim Kinney wrote:
> >> If the desk chair is vinyl, rub it well with a piece of fur or
> >> wool (duh - same thing!) to build a nice static charge. Now toss
> >> on a small handful of the tiny foam bead from a beanbag chair.
> >>
> > Replace  a drawer upside down  (not always practical, but still
> > annoying)
> >
> > Rearrange the keys on a keyboard to the order of those on a
> > telephone.
> >
> > Place a small piece of tape over the earpiece of an ordinary
> > telephone handset.
> >
> > Always keep a large capacitor charged and sitting on your  desk.
> > People can't resist picking it up.
> >
> > My favorite though was at the request of my boss to be done to a
> > cow orker who spent too much time goofing off: I removed his
> [...]

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
*