[ale] Cable modem recommendation

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 08:57:54 EDT 2012

On 04/02/2012 08:33 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Speaking of cable modems and such.
>
> My neighbor recently signed up for the whole Comcast package (Phone, Internet, TV).   They gave her one central box of some sort which I haven't really looked at.   She was asking me yesterday about getting her own router.  I told her one can buy rather than rent their own cable modem and switch/router (or a combination thereof) but I don't use the phone service from Comcast so I wasn't sure what they did for that.   My assumption is it is just VOIP over the cable internet.   She couldn't tell me if she is paying a rental for any device (other than a converter box) and didn't want me to come look.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a special device required for Comcast telephone and if so would they be charging an extra monthly fee and if so if one can buy one rather than rent as they can with cable modem?
>
> Sorry I know its vague - just figured someone else has probably already done all this.

Comcast full package requires two boxes, one for the TV (or one for each
TV) for cable TV and a cable modem with two additional  standard
telephone jacks to use with a standard wired telephone and fax machine.
The two ports are for different phone numbers so if she has one number
she would use telephone port 1. I have not seen a retail cable modem
with the built in telephone but I have not looked very hard either. I am
not sure of the technical details of their phone service (VoIP, etc).

The combo modems I have seen are made by ARRIS.