[ale] recylcing fluorescent bulbs

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Sep 14 09:25:48 EDT 2011

I daresay that a production facility already had to present an environmental impact statement before starting production.    To say environmental impact for any manufacturing or other business wasn’t considered before it was opened ignores the complaints of thousands of businesses.

In fact I’ve heard people rail against the fact that one can’t even begin using land previously owned by say a gas station without first undertaking to clean up what was left there by the old business (e.g. underground tanks) even though if the property is never redeveloped the impact of the existing stuff is never addressed (e.g. those old tanks rusting away and contaminating the ground water with whatever might still be in them).   I don’t really agree with this view though – it would be way to easy for one “corporation” to “sell” property to another “corporation” that has pretty much the same owners as a way to avoid having to address environmental issues.   If the property is valuable enough to redevelop chances are its valuable enough to do the necessary cleanup.