[ale] Security breach on kernel.org

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Sep 1 15:41:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 14:13 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
> Mike,

> Why DO the developers need to change their private SSH keys?  I hope
> they were not stored on the compromised systems.

I would say it's highly unlikely that many, if any, private keys of
developers have to be changed, but possible.  There might be some keys
used in mirroring that might.  People shouldn't have been using those
servers as their home servers, merely connecting to them remotely for
git.  Some people might have had private keys on one machine to
communicate with other machines in the cluster (which could account for
the spread of the compromise).  For that, people really REALLY should be
using auth forwarding, instead of private keys on a remote server, but
it is a too common practice, unfortunately.  Only other concern would be
if an attack were propagated back to one of their servers by a trojaned
file.  Again, unlikely.

A more likely scenario was described in another message.  The attackers
could have added additional authorized_keys file, necessitating the
removal and rebuilding of those files.  That's a very common attack
scenario that's consistent with the statements that have been made.  I
don't know the exact functionality of Hera or how other servers were
subsequently compromised through Hera (or even if they were compromised
through Hera).

Another concern is that the suspicion is high that it was compromised
user credentials that were used in the initial break-in against Hera.
Here, it could have been a developer's machine that was initially
compromised.  Obviously, they would have to change their keys and they
would have had to be positively identified as the source of the attack.
That may not be clear cut and they may have a set of potential sources
which are having to update their keys.  If it was compromised user
credentials, then the escalation could also have been through sudo or a
loop-through to root on local host.  They're just saying the escalation
was unknown at this time.

> In my book I discuss special procedures to cover very high security
> situations which kernel.org certainly qualifies as.  One part is to keep
> the private ssh keys (and other crypto keys) OFFline to avoid being
> compromised from the Internet.

That could be a little difficult with ssh private keys, since their used
for remote access, unless you mean by "off-line" being on USB keys and
smart cards.  Having certain critical communications keys on isolated
machines which can only be logged into locally but then can still access
the Internet and using auth forwarding out of that for server-to-server
access makes more sense in that regard.  If you have git access to the
cluster through ssh using hardened RSA or DSA keys, you'd have to have
the private keys on-line on your development any time doing a clone or
pull or update or a host of other git activities.

Certain "data at rest" type keys and things like CA private keys make a
lot of sense to be kept off-line and yet we've got yet another CA
compromise that's making a much of things...  Sigh...

Regards,
Mike