[ale] HDD prices to spike - flooding in Thailand

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:16:40 EDT 2011

Its worse than even Aaron thinks. The biggest issue is ALL the motors for
drives are made in factories now under water there.
At work, orders for drives are being canceled by suppliers until they get a
firm price from existing stockpiles.  But as we all know, tech makets are
huge into 'just in time' production.  So the stockpiles are basically just
supplies awaiting pickup on shipping. The last ready drives were shipped
out while roads were still passable so only the factories in Ireland and
Malaysia are still running. The Irish has excess capacity available as they
were being phased out for Thailand.  But, no motors means no drives.
So drives get shipped to vendors with connections and deep pockets.
It looks like the time when the ram boat sank in a storm in 1996 but this
will hit everywhere for about 6 months.