[ale] HDD prices to spike - flooding in Thailand

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Mon Oct 31 13:26:51 EDT 2011

My thoughts are along the line of what the rest of the HDD industry is
going to do?  Price increases across the board as a result?  We've seen
this before with disasters that hit manufacturing and the shortage and
price-hikes that hit.  I remember when RAM went through that back in the
mid-90's.  I am already seeing an effect from the increase in WD prices
and expect this to have a strong impact on the overall market.  Not a
pretty sight...

So will we start to think of HDD as a commodity now until supply picks
up with normal manufacturing?  It does give rise to make one think about
where their hardware is coming from and what factors influence price in
the market....

RinL