[ale] Xubuntu 11.10 unable to login via lightdm

Ted Wood ted at techmachine.net
Wed Oct 26 10:32:43 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Raj Wurttemberg <rajaw at c64.us> wrote:

> Hey Ted,****
>
> ** **
>
> Some thoughts to help get you back on-line…  Your X (a.k.a. X.org) could be
> messed up. First thing you can try is rebuilding your xorg.conf file.****
>
> ** **
>
> Backup the original:****
>
> *cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/Desktop/xorg.conf.BACKUP*
>
> ** **
>
> Create a new one:****
>
> *sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg*
>
> ** **
>
> Next… could be probs in the below files:****
>
> ** **
>
> •Load sessions from /usr/share/xsessions ****
>
> •Store session configuration in ~/.dmrc****
>
> ** **
>
> Let me know how it goes…   It is very possible the “xsessions” or “.dmrc”
> files are messed up. I can send you mine if needed. Oh, this link might
> help:****
>
> ** **
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LightDM/Design****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> -=Raj=-****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

Thanks for the suggestions Raaj,

It appears that Ubuntu/Xubuntu no longer rely on the xorg.conf file (see my
confusion?). That said I did try to create one using 'dpkg-reconfigure
-phigh xserver-xorg'; it did not appear to make a difference either way.

I think you might be on to something with the ~/.dmrc file though. I've seen
some mention of it in one of the logs I was looking through but didn't think
anything of it (not familiar with what it's used for). The only thing that
baffles me there is that I created an alternate user and tried logging them
in but experienced the same problem there as well. I would assume each user
has it's own .dmrc file, no? If you could send me those files though I'd be
willing to give them a shot. Thanks, as well, for the link I'll be exploring
that later today as well, as time permits.

--
Ted W. < Ted at Techmachine.net >
Registered GNU/Linux user #413569