[ale] semi [OT] ergonomics 101 - stop your computer from killing you

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Oct 25 10:26:59 EDT 2011

Hi all,

This is a followup to a post I made before entitled "This Computer Is
Killing Me".  In essence, I violated the laws of human body physics
while using my computer.  I sat in a particularly un ergonomic lounge
chair, for several hours each day, for two days, using a laptop
computer, with my head tilted down and slightly left, my back tilted
back, and my back curved the opposite way it does naturally.  When you
fight the laws of physics, you LOSE.  The price for my insubordination
was 5 visits to the chiropractor within 20 days, lots of stretching, a
good deal of pain, and several sleepless nights.  (A chiropractic visit
every 2 months or so is not uncommon for me, as well as many other
people.)  I'm almost human again, but I have to daily remind myself what
to do and not to do, or I could backslide and have similar things happen
again.  I thought I'd share some things I (re)learned with you so you
can avoid similar pitfalls.  Note, this applies mostly to human bodies
over 40 years old, but not exclusively.  Younger people are also
susceptible to the laws of human body physics.  Abusing the laws over
time gets more and more painful, and eventually, can cause irreparable
damage to your body.  I'll bet you've heard most of this before.  And,
I'll bet you backslide periodically and don't do the right things for
your health.  We computer geeks are particularly susceptible to these
problems.  These things are a variation of repetitive stress injuries,
which you could research if desired.  Believe me, I'm preaching to
myself here too.  Here goes.

0.5) WATER.  Every cell of your body and every part of your body need a
continuous supply of fresh water to work.  This applies to muscles,
spinal discs, nerves, your brain, even bones.  The rule of thumb is to
take your body weight in pounds, divide by 2, and drink that much water
in ounces every day.  So, if you weigh 200 lbs, drink 100 ounces of
water per day if you have an average level of activity.  This is about
3/4 of a gallon.  Almost all people don't get enough.  You also lose a
lot of water just by breathing overnight.  If you don't want to count
ounces, here's what I do.  Every morning, I drink 30 swallows of water.
Your first water of the day should be room temperature, which works
better to jump start your stomach.  30 swallows for me is probably about
12 - 16 ounces.  Every time I go to the restroom, I drink another 12 -
15 swallows.  When I eat, I usually drink 2 cups of water or tea
(minimizing the sugar).  I don't know precisely how many ounces this
adds up to.  However, it's much better than just drinking a few glasses
a day, like we're inclined to if we get all caught up in work.  Check
out this book: Water: For Health, for Healing, for Life: You're Not
Sick, You're Thirsty! by F. Batmanghelidj and this website:
http://www.watercure.com/ .

1) Drinking and driving don't mix.  Oil and water don't mix.  And,
lounge chairs and computers don't mix.  Actually, the chiropractor
dislikes almost all lounge chairs, with or without the computer.  But,
in this case, human back tilted back, head tilted forward, head twisted
sideways, = = BAD.  As much as I might like to compute while watching
TV, now my computer stays on my work table.  It's amazing how we dilute
our recreational time with work type activities.  By the way, reading a
book on your lap in a lounge chair has much the same effect.

2) Workstation ergonomics.  When seated at your workstation, your back
should be essentially straight, not tilted much.  Your legs should be
parallel to the floor.  Your arms should be parallel to the floor.
(Many workstation setups fail this.)  The center of your monitor should
be right in front of your eyes.

3) Try to avoid uneven or unbalanced stresses on your muscles, if
possible.  For example, if you are continually looking sideways at a
monitor, or continually reaching sideways for a mouse, those muscles
become disproportionally stronger, over time.  That tends to pull your
body in that direction.  That leads to you trying to compensate.  That
leads to muscle tension and possible crooked bones that don't
spontaneously fix themselves.  If you cannot move the monitor, try
stretching in the opposite direction periodically.  You could also try
using the mouse with your opposite hand.  Be wary of turning your legs
one way and your shoulders another.

4) Posture.  The orientation of your head, relative to your shoulders,
is critical.  It is all too common to see people, young and old, with a
hunchback posture.  Over time, this can permanently damage your
vertebrae, spinal discs, and nerves, should the discs degenerate.  Much
of what we do involves reaching forward.  That makes our front muscles
stronger, and tends to encourage a hunchback posture.  Both your back
and your neck should have a slight curve toward your front side.  This
is totally opposite of what most lounge chairs encourage.  In general,
your shoulders should be directly above your hips and your head should
be directly above your shoulders.  I read somewhere that you can imagine
a rubber band going from your ear lobes to the center of your shoulders
on each side.  You want to keep those rubber bands as short as possible.

5) Take breaks every hour or so.  Do some stretches.  Shrug your
shoulders and stretch out your arms and move them around.  Walk a block
or half a block down your street and back, if it's safe.  Get a digital
timer that you can preset and set for an hour then get up when it goes
off.  Reset it and restart it when you get back.  An hour a day walking
is great, and is recommended.  However, even 10 minutes twice a day can
be very helpful.  This Radio Shack timer works well.  It has an
adjustable volume level beeper, hanger and magnet for mounting, table
stand, and a keypad for presetting it.  Cat #: 63-248.

I'm going to share some stretches which my chiropractor prescribed me
that you can do to keep limber.  Warning, use your own brain and
discretion when doing these.  Do not attempt to stretch in any way that
is too difficult or causes pain.  Do not attempt to stretch too rapidly
after being still for a while.  Use at your own risk.  If you have any
concerns about your ability to do these safely, contact a chiropractor
or other health professional.

For me, my neck muscles are really the ones that want to betray me.
They like to tense all up and move my bones the wrong way.  So, that's
what these exercises focus on.

A) Standing / sitting posture.  Find an open available wall or a closed
(and latched) door.  Stand next to the wall or door, facing away from
it.  Place your heels, butt, shoulder blades, and back of head in
contact with the wall.  This will likely feel very unnatural, but is the
proper posture for your body.  Warning, if you feel pain, or excessive
tension or discomfort, do not continue.  Once you have attained the
correct posture, maintain it for 2 minutes.  Do this 3 times / week.
When sitting, try to maintain the same relationship between your head,
shoulders, and butt.  Do not slump or slouch.

Following are some neck exercises to stretch out your neck muscles.
These involve tilting the head in each direction, as well as twisting
the head left and right.  Do not roll your head around in a circle.
According to my chiropractor, rolling your head round abrades the bones
in such a way that it contributes to arthritis later.  Again, if you
feel pain, or excessive tension or discomfort, do not continue.  These
should be done while seated with back straight in a chair.  For one
exercise, you will need to be able to hold the bottom of the chair under
your legs, so simple chairs work better.

B) Tilting head side to side.
      While seated in a chair with back straight, looking forward, tilt
your head to the LEFT slowly, stretching out the muscles on the RIGHT
side.  Once you've tilted your head, hold that position for 5 seconds.
Then straighten up and relax.  Now, tilt your head to the RIGHT slowly,
stretching out the muscles on the LEFT side.  Once you've tilted your
head, hold that position for 5 seconds.  Then, straighten up and relax.
Repeat this entire procedure 10 times.  Do the 10 repetitions 3 times / day.

C) Tilting head front to back.
      While seated in a chair with back straight, looking forward, tilt
your head FORWARD slowly, stretching out the muscles in the BACK.  Once
you've tilted your head, hold that position for 5 seconds.  Then
straighten up and relax.  Now, tilt your head BACKWARDS slowly,
stretching out the muscles in the FRONT.  Once you've tilted your head,
hold that position for 5 seconds.  Then, straighten up and relax.
Repeat this entire procedure 10 times.  Do the 10 repetitions 3 times / day.

D) Twisting head side to side.
      While seated in a chair with back straight, looking forward, twist
your head to the LEFT slowly, looking to the side, stretching out the
muscles on the RIGHT side.  Once you've twisted your head, hold that
position for 5 seconds.  Then straighten up and relax.  Now, twist your
head to the RIGHT slowly, looking to the side, stretching out the
muscles on the LEFT side.  Once you've twisted your head, hold that
position for 5 seconds.  Then, straighten up and relax.  Repeat this
entire procedure 10 times.  Do the 10 repetitions 3 times / day.

E) Tilting head side to side while holding the chair.
      While seated in a chair with back straight, looking forward, place
your RIGHT hand under the chair seat and hold the chair seat.  This
keeps your shoulder down.  Tilt your head to the LEFT slowly, stretching
out the muscles on the RIGHT side.  Once you've tilted your head, hold
that position for 5 seconds.  Then straighten up and relax.  Place your
LEFT hand under the chair seat and hold the chair seat.  Now, tilt your
head to the RIGHT slowly, stretching out the muscles on the LEFT side.
Once you've tilted your head, hold that position for 5 seconds.  Then,
straighten up and relax.  Repeat this entire procedure 10 times.  Do the
10 repetitions 3 times / day.

F) Rearward elbow stretches.
      While seated in a chair with back straight, looking forward, place
your hands behind your head and interlock your fingers.  Your elbows
should be straight out on either side.  Without pressing on your head,
squeeze your shoulder blades together and let elbows swing outward and
back.  Pause for a moment and relax.  This stretches your front chest
muscles.  Repeat this entire procedure 10 times.  Do the 10 repetitions
3 times / day.
      For me, this procedure tends to make my back muscles cramp.  So, I
use an alternate procedure.  Stand in an open doorway, facing the
doorway, just slightly before entering the door frame..  Place your
hands behind your head and interlock your fingers.  Your elbows should
be straight out on either side.  The doorway should be narrow enough
that you cannot get through it with your elbows stretched out.  As you
move your body forward, your elbows and part of your forearms should
contact the door frame on either side.  Gently and slowly, without
pressing on your head, move your body forward, which pushes your elbows
back.  This stretches your front chest muscles.  Pause for a moment,
then move your body backwards and relax.  Be sure not to use too much
forward pressure, which could cause injury.  Repeat this entire
procedure 10 times.  Do the 10 repetitions 3 times / day.

I hope you find this helpful, and avoid the pitfalls I faced.  Now I
have to go practice what I'm preaching lest I get a neck ache today.

Sincerely,

Ron