[ale] Linux alternative recommendation ?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 23:22:55 EDT 2011

I haven't directly studied xray damage to flash media but xrays do cause
damage/change to nearly every material that they encounter. By ionizing both
valence band and deeper electron shells, the materials are forced by their
chemistey and lattice structures to rearrange after an ionization occurs.
Theoretically, this physio-chemical change will destroy the stored charge in
the region of the disruption. I expect the requisite cross sectional
absorption rate would need to be high as the data charge is not contained
within a aungle lattice cwll but across many adjacent ones. However,
ionized lattice relaxtion is very much an adjacent cell process as the
unstable charges migrate to dissapate their high potential. So I would count
xrays as a valid way to destroy data on a thumb drive or and media for that
matter.