[ale] Simplicity (in relationship to computers and programming)

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:19:45 EDT 2011

On 2011/10/24, at 15:44 , Charles Shapiro wrote:

> Indeed they are enjoyable and intriguing.  I 'specially liked his
> "simplicity" one, as someone who has been guilty of
> makin' amazing little complicated languages.
>
> I remember looking at REBOL back before 2000.  It's exciting to see
> that it's still around.  Maybes I should take another pass at it.
>
> -- CHS

Quite a flashback, Charles...

Before 2000?  I'm thinking maybe it was 2001, but still, wow...
was it that long ago?

If I recall correctly I was working at the Innovox Internet Lounge at
the time and they provided a back room where we tried to do a
REBOL dog and pony show (with Carl Sassenrath live on the
REBOL chat client his 13 yr. old son wrote with using something
like 100 lines of code).  You and maybe 2 others showed up;
I'm remembering that the company you were working for was
considering REBOL as a solution for a distributed web
application project.

I also remember feeling that Carl was getting a little frustrated
at my inability to grok the big picture of what REBOL was all
about.  The differences to traditional computer languages and
data handling and networking seemed pretty subtle to me, more
a matter of unique underlying approach than methods of
practical application.

Another great idea I chalk up to Davinci's hellicopter syndrome.
Like the Amiga, this stuff may be too far ahead of the curve for
most people to appreciate the advantages or fully grok the
underlying concepts.

peace
aaron

PS:  It looks like this REBOL developer  in France is trying to
create an Open Source work alike called RED!
   <http://www.red-lang.org/>
I've always felt that if REBOL were Open Sourced and released
under GPL licensing it would really make it much a more viable
and widely embraced technology.