[ale] OT: please trip your posts

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:28:28 EDT 2011

I agree, and I change my top, bottom, or inline reply style based on
the context of the email and what the reply requires. But mostly I top
post. Maybe bottom posting every time made sense at one point in time,
but now-a-days it seems a bit silly (given that email/nntp clients
generally hide the previous message).

What grinds my axe is the lack of trimming. I'm not trying to single
anyone out here, it's just the first post I found, by randomly
clicking titles, in a long thread that didn't trim: look at [1]. The
reply contains _three_ previous emails along with every single mailman
forced signature. Trim that crap out! You usually only need to include
the previous email and the "name" part of the previous signature. If
you reply to an email of mine and leave more than "--\nJames Sumners"
in your quote then I claim you've done it wrong.

[1] -- http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.ale/88579

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/