[ale] phoronix.com: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop To Be Supported Longer (5 Years)

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:06:40 EDT 2011

I think this is big news on the desktop front: Starting with Ubuntu 12.04's
April 2012 release, Canonical's support for the desktop release will be five
years (which they've already been doing for the server edition) instead of
three.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAwNDE

And for you Gnome 3 haters, since for Ubuntu 10.04 the LTS three year
support cycle also included the KDE version (Kubuntu 10.04 LTS) and the Xfce
version (Xubuntu 10.04 LTS), hopefully the five year support cycle will
include those too, as well as the newest official Ubuntu derived distro ..
Lubuntu with the LXDE desktop.

I switched to Debian Squeeze as my primary distro (from Ubuntu) this year,
but this development may make me reconsider Ubuntu.