[ale] I've decided again to learn programming again

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Oct 22 09:43:29 EDT 2011

see below

On 10/22/2011 9:06 AM, JD wrote:
> Sharing workspaces in Eclipse is not intuitively obvious, at least for
> me. This may help, a little
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/717247/how-to-transfer-eclipse-workspace-and-project-from-windows-to-linux-and-mac

I'll look at that article.  I don't necessarily have to share the
workspaces.  I really don't know much about Eclipse.  I was thinking
that, if someone has a problem or an error, at least seeing their screen
would help the other two of us troubleshoot.

> If I had a choice, I'd not use Eclipse, but alas, it isn't my choice. I
> find it too complex for my noobie use - I'm definitely a noob at Eclipse.

I'm not married to the idea of using Eclipse.  However, almost
universally, if a textbook mentions an IDE, that's the one.  Sometimes
they talk about NetBeans too.  I think we'll definitely need an IDE once
we get beyond simple examples.

> I think your sharing requirements are too strict even if you had a
> $50/month budget. OTOH, I can understand.  The way that I learned to use
> complex IDEs previously was by watching experts over their shoulder.
> Eclipse definitely is complex.  It is hard to replace the team
> programming together at the same desk using internet tools.  The voice
> chat will help, but nothing can replace being at the same desk for 3
> hours a day for a mont

I know what you're saying.  I did acknowledge that I might be grabbing a
tiger by the tail.  I might be able to do a Google+ video hangout with
the camera pointed at the screen instead of me.  I totally agree about
the advantages of being in the same room.  However, there are two
problems.  1) finding a meeting place and 2) fuel cost.  If I drive from
Cumming to Lawrenceville (where one person is) 3 times / week, that will
cost me almost $ 100 / month in fuel.  I just cannot do that.  So, we
have to be virtually there.

> Using git lets you easily share code. It doesn't matter if you are
> typing examples from a book or not. Having access to someone elses'
> version will help.  If you'd like to share a text document and all write
> code inside it simultaneously, that is possible. Sure, you can use
> google docs, but for more direct text-based sharing there are 2 other

I might look into setting up Git right from the start then.

> tools - the names of which slip my mind this morning. I think one was a
> Linux-only word processor and the other was a webservice that google
> bought, tried for a few years and closed. The server code is FLOSS now.
>    Ah ---- etherpad. https://code.google.com/p/etherpad/
> Never used either of these.

I'll look into that too.  I think the other thing you mentioned might be
Google Wave, which died a quick death.

> Google docs and git work for my team, though we are struggling to share
> Eclipse workspaces between Windows and Linux devs.

I'm not quite following you there.  If you're using Git, why do you need
Google Docs?

Thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,

Ron