[ale] I've decided again to learn programming again

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sat Oct 22 09:06:11 EDT 2011

Sharing workspaces in Eclipse is not intuitively obvious, at least for
me. This may help, a little

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/717247/how-to-transfer-eclipse-workspace-and-project-from-windows-to-linux-and-mac

If I had a choice, I'd not use Eclipse, but alas, it isn't my choice. I
find it too complex for my noobie use - I'm definitely a noob at Eclipse.

I think your sharing requirements are too strict even if you had a
$50/month budget. OTOH, I can understand.  The way that I learned to use
complex IDEs previously was by watching experts over their shoulder.
Eclipse definitely is complex.  It is hard to replace the team
programming together at the same desk using internet tools.  The voice
chat will help, but nothing can replace being at the same desk for 3
hours a day for a mont

Using git lets you easily share code. It doesn't matter if you are
typing examples from a book or not. Having access to someone elses'
version will help.  If you'd like to share a text document and all write
code inside it simultaneously, that is possible. Sure, you can use
google docs, but for more direct text-based sharing there are 2 other
tools - the names of which slip my mind this morning. I think one was a
Linux-only word processor and the other was a webservice that google
bought, tried for a few years and closed. The server code is FLOSS now.
  Ah ---- etherpad. https://code.google.com/p/etherpad/
Never used either of these.

Google docs and git work for my team, though we are struggling to share
Eclipse workspaces between Windows and Linux devs.