[ale] Micro$oft blocking Linux booting in hardware

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Fri Oct 21 14:03:16 EDT 2011

To answer your questions Michael:

"It" being UEFI Shell, lowering UEFI Shell in the boot priority of the
BIOS.

My assumption here is based on the context of this group and the
original email.  I see that context as being framed with installing a
DIY OS (FOSS) on new hardware that is UEFI enabled with Windows 8.  I
currently work with EFI/UEFI enabled BIOS at the manufacturer level.
The framework is there but via AMI BIOS can be depreciated out of the
boot sequence so as to not be invoked in the current APTIO BIOS
framework.  I would assume the same thing would be true of new hardware
implementations.

Of course the BIOS manufacturer "may" render a system unable to boot
another OS, live CD or the like if access to the boot sequence and/or
boot devices is removed and hard-coded.  I believe the UEFI code to be
executed is stored on another partition on the HDD so if wiping a drive
you'd be wiping that as well.  Boy I'll bet such a system would love
that!

Again, my thinking is toward removal of Microsoft (not working around it
as in a dual-boot scenario).  I know that many people will want to
dual-boot Linux but in the context of this group; I take it we're more
adept to blowing MS out for *NIX.  I for one am and only run Windows as
bare-metal (for specialized applications and hardware that require it
and is kept offline) or in VM's (and very little of that!)  How
Canonical chooses to co-habitat with Microsoft Windows 8 will be their
deal...but as I see it the desktop is going the way of the dinosaur and
mobile devices will be the winner.  As to that arena there are two major
players....iOS and Android; and of those last time I checked Linux was
the winner on the global scale.

Otherwise Newegg has lots of deals for those of us who roll their own
(like me) and refuse to get locked-in by proprietary system builds that
try to prevent installation of tandem OSes.

Could this be a return to the 1990's and the days of IE4?  BSOD to the
neo-surf-nazi corporapists........  [had to get an Aaron reference in
this somehow!]

Back to work for me.....