[ale] expansion drive

zeb n4zm at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 21 12:06:53 EDT 2011

All:
    I have a Seagate portable expansion drive that is not recognized by
Slackware Linux 12.2 (or Windows 98 SE, XP, or 7).  The drive is seen
during Linux boot, but it cannot be mounted.
    The drive originally was formatted as NTFS.  I formatted it as ext2
and was able to mount it.  I then formatted it as NTFS (using mkfs -t
ntfs), and that's when the fun (or trouble) began.  I wrote Seagate a
week ago, but they have not replied.  Their web  site  says they do not
support Linux.
    Anybody have any thoughts as to how I can revive this paperweight?

Thanks, and regards....Zeb