[ale] semi [OT] help recovering data from memory card

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Oct 19 15:18:47 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I have completed the recovery of the pictures.  Thanks very much for all
the suggestions.  There were some interesting twists to the story.

First I used the dd command below to make an image of the faulty SD
card.  I had placed sudo in front of the command.  I don't know if that
was a mistake, but, after dd finished with the image, the file was
locked and owned by root.  I had to use the sudo chown command to change
the owner and group to my name.  Other than that, there were no errors
with dd.  I then removed my relative's memory card and copied the new 4
GB image file from my desktop to another memory stick I had.  I moved
the memory stick to my Windows machine and ran PhotoRec on THAT memory
stick, which had the image file on it.  I could have run it on the Linux
system if I'd wanted, but I'm more familiar with file operations in
Windows.  It recovered 371 photos, which, as far as I know, was all of them.

Another somewhat eerie thing happened.  There were no files showing in
the directory of the second memory stick I was using, other than the
image file I stored there.  PhotoRec also recovered another 30 or so
other files, of several other types besides photos, that had been on
that memory stick long ago and were mine and had been deleted.  I know
they never really get deleted, but it was really strange seeing them
come back from the dead.

Just for fun, after saving the photos we wanted to keep, I went into
Windows Explorer and selected the memory stick an formatted it, being
sure to turn off the check box that says quick format.  I then ran
PhotoRec again on that memory card, just to see what would happen.  In
this case, PhotoRec was unable to recover any files, which is what I
hoped would happen.

I didn't get to try the other program that was suggested, but I
certainly appreciate that suggestion as well.  So, thanks everyone for
all the help.  This was an interesting learning experience, especially
the part about my files coming back from the dead.  So, be warned, if
you put any sensitive information on a memory stick, if you don't want
it showing up later, you'd better truly format or wipe it.

Sincerely,

Ron