[ale] kmail 2

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Oct 19 10:58:22 EDT 2011

Hi Geoffrey,

I don't know how relevant this will be to your query if your friend is
determined to stick with kmail.  However, if he'll consider other
options, it might be useful.  I'm using Eudora Open Source Edition and
like it.  It is based on the Thunderbird code base, but has the look and
feel of the old Eudora program, which I had been using on Windows for 15
years.  It seems to work pretty well.  The open source edition is at
version 1 and has been for some time.  I don't know how actively they
are developing it.  But, since it was based on the former commercial
product, and since it was based on the mature Thunderbird code base,
it's already a pretty mature and functional product.  You can do folders
and subfolders and move things around.  It also has advanced filtering
capabilities.   I'm on over 100 alternate energy mailing lists.  Can't
read them all, I save the messages for reference.  Every few months, I
will have accumulated about 30,000 messages in the mailing lists
folder.  For some reason, the old commercial Eudora seemed to get
unhappy if the total gets much above that.  So, I always transfer those
messages to another folder which is not accumulating new ones.  I think
this was a flaw in the old commercial product.  I don't know for sure if
the new one has that problem.  It will only let you highlight and open 9
messages at a time, presumably for speed reasons.  That process takes a
couple of seconds to open the messages.  Once they're open, you could
highlight and open another 9 if needed.  You can highlight dozens or
hundreds or thousands of messages at a time a mark them read or change
their priority if desired.  You can drag small quantities of messages to
folders easy enough.  However, if you're working with more than 100
messages or so, I would highlight them and right click and start the
transfer from a menu.  If you try to drag large quantities of messages,
it sometimes looks like the system is frozen.  You can also create
multiple identities.  For example, the identity I'm sending this from
has a custom return address and custom signature which is just for ALE.
Overall, I really like the system.  Ubuntu used to come with Evolution
email.  I used that for a while until I found Eudora OSE.  Evolution has
similar capabilities, but perhaps not as many features, so I like Eudora
better.  Evolution seemed to work OK however.  I'd be glad to answer any
questions about Eudora if I can.  Eudora OSE stores each mailbox in a
separate file, but I have no idea how it's speed compares to other email
clients.

WARNING - Previously, another member on this list tried Eudora after we
had discussed it.  He said it overwrites your Thunderbird profile
directory if you already have Thunderbird installed.  Looking at that in
hindsight, it's not a huge surprise since this is based on the
Thunderbird code base.  At the time, though, it was frustrating.  So,
backup your Thunderbird profile folder if you already have Thunderbird.
In Linux, that should be .thunderbird (with a dot).  Not sure about the
capitalization.  I believe this is a hidden folder in your home folder.
In Windows Vista and up it should be
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\Profiles and
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles.  In this case, I
have no idea why there are two of them.

Eudora OSE is cross platform, and can run on Linux, Windows, or Mac.
Here are the links.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_Releases

Sincerely,