[ale] Perl or Python for editing files...

Tue Oct 18 18:04:20 EDT 2011

I'll give you a straight answer. Chose Python. People who learned Perl
forever ago still prefer it, of course. But since you are learning it as
something new, chose Python.

The reason is the focus on readable code. No one ever wants to maintain
someone else's Perl. Python has http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/ and
pep 8 as cultural guidelines and it makes a huge difference in the help and
examples you will find online.