[ale] wrong kernel after Debian squeeze install

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Tue Oct 18 14:46:15 EDT 2011

Actually, I figured out that this is an accessibility issue.  I didn't
mention that I'm blind. It didn't occur to me that that might be relevant.
To start the screen reader, you have to select the 3rd item on the boot
menu, "graphical install" and then enter the boot parameter for your speech
synthesizer. Well, right above "graphical install" on the boot menu is an
option for a 64 bit install.  But I can't get speech if I select it.  Here
is what the debian installation manual says:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.txt.en
"Support for hardware speech synthesis devices is available only alongside
support for graphical installer. You thus need to select the 'Graphical
install' entry in the boot menu."

So I don't know how a blind person is supposed to do a 64 bit install. But,
maybe the links you have provided will work for me.  If i get a CD w/o the
option for a 32 bit install, maybe it will work.