[ale] Perl or Python for editing files...

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Tue Oct 18 13:50:27 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Doug Hall <doughalldev at gmail.com> wrote:
> For the record, I agree with Brian. There's probably already a puppet
> recipe which does what you want to do.
> <http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Puppet_Patterns>
> Unless this is a trivial, one-time thing that will not need to be
> modified, I'd look at Puppet, first. Puppet can be used not only up
> front, for setting up "standard" systems, but it can be used for
> maintenance tasks, as well. We install Puppet clients on all our
> equipment.
>
> Puppet has its own Domain Specific Language (DSL) for getting things
> done. It executes ruby code behind the scenes, but you won't need to
> know ruby.
>
> Doug

I'm definitely a big puppet proponent -- getting bigger as I use it
more.  I actually wish I had used puppet to configure my single VPS.
At some point, I may actually get its configuration into puppet -- it
will make it so much easier to restore my VPS in the event that ever
becomes necessary.

Rather than reproduce it all here, since we are off a bit from the
original question, I'll point to a blog post I wrote a few days ago
for the lessons I've learned deploying puppet:
http://systemoverlord.com/blog/2011/10/12/deploying-puppet

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com