[ale] wrong kernel after debian squeeze install

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Tue Oct 18 12:09:53 EDT 2011

    All,

This morning I installed debian squeeze on a machine with an AMD64 CPU. But
the installer never asked me which kernel I wanted and it put a 686 kernel
on the thing.  Why did it do that and how can I make it either ask me or
make it default to a 64 bit kernel? Below is some of the output from
getSystemId & 'cat /proc/cpu_info'. Maybe a clue as to what the problme is
that if I do a uname -p, it says my processor is unknown. Maybe linux can't
ID  my CPU and therefore doesn't know its 64 bit?

Product Name: PowerEdge SC1435
BIOS Version: 1.1.2
Vendor:       Dell Inc.
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2210

# uname -p
unknown