[ale] Perl or Python for editing files...

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:35:00 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Jim Lynch
<ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> On 10/17/2011 02:01 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I have four files I like to be able to edit from a script. I have
>> heard that it's better to use Perl or Python to this than bash.
>>
>> I am new to be perl and python from a scripting. What would be easy? I
>> know it question that would open up a larger debate, but I really need
>> help on this.
>>
>> If you recommend one of the two can you show me a site that explain
>> how to open and write the files.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
> It really depends on the complexity of the edit task.  A combination of
> bash, sed and awk can do simple edits, driving ex with bash can do a bit
> more complex operations, but perl or python would be best for really big
> editing jobs.  So to answer your question give us a real world example
> of what you want to do.  What's the input and the desired output?
>
> Jim.

I want to build a script that would let me edit a kvm clone. I want to
script to be able to edit let say /etc/hosts and couple other file, I
want to replace ip and host name. So that I can make deploy easier and
I don't have to touch all the files I need too.

I guess if I could do with bash/sed/awk that work, the problem is how
to do. I know how to use sed to change and write out a new file, but I
rather just be able to edit the same file and save it.

--
(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.