[ale] Dennis Ritchie

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Sun Oct 16 19:21:16 EDT 2011

Dennis changed the world for the better.

I would guess that 75-90% of the code currently running is in C.  If you
add derivatives such as Java and C++, it's even higher.  Unix or Linux
runs most of the world's important systems, including the Internet,
the phone system, and most companies' important systems.  This lower
cost of development and ease of learning has made practical so much of
modern technology.

He was a nice guy and personable and unassuming.

Dennis will be missed but his language, and its children, C++ and Java,
Unix, and its child Linux will live on for another 40 years!

Rest in peace.

Bob Toxen

them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
-- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... Bob