[ale] I've decided again to learn programming again

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Fri Oct 14 23:17:10 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 09:35:37PM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> On 10/14/2011 02:31 PM, Byron Jeff wrote:
> A question.  Isn't Rhino a javascript engine?

Apparently. I never played with it, so the information I have is based on
my reading of the SL4A documentation. The FAQ here:

http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki/FAQ

makes these two points:

--------------------------------
Where's JavaScript?

JavaScript is implemented using the Mozilla Rhino project and V8. Look for
"Rhino" in the interpreter downloads. Or, write an HTML script to use V8.
--------------------------------
Will SL4A work on my Android device that's not built on ARM (e.g. x86)?

Yes and no. All cross compiled interpreters are compiled for ARM. Java
based interpreters like JRuby, BeanShell, and Rhino will work.

My reading of the second one put the thought in my head that Rhino was in
fact a Java interpreter.

BAJ

> Jim.

Byron A. Jeff
Department Chair: IT/CS/CNET
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://cims.clayton.edu/bjeff