[ale] OT: Anyone seen this?

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Fri Oct 14 09:56:19 EDT 2011

Somehow I hear echos of Kinney's comment of earlier, "screaming, mine!
mine!  mine!"  Will we ever see a day of open-hardware development on a
broad scale?  Or will this lead to new innovation that leaves Jobs'
invention behind?  The Wright brothers patented wing warping and Glenn
Curtis came up with the aileron.  Laws suits flew but in the end Curtiss
won and eventually saw two rivals combining to form one company
(Curtiss-Wright).  That company endures to this day...

I have seen some initiatives on open-hardware development that were
interesting.  One was an engineering project on an open design for UAVs
from University of Otago.  Interesting stuff and a model I would like to
see develop in the world of technology beyond FOSS.......signed Richard
"not Stallman" Faulkner