[ale] I've decided again to learn programming again

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Oct 14 06:42:11 EDT 2011

Hello all,

Those of you that have read some of my prior posts know I've been
threatening for some time to relearn programming after 16 years out of
the loop.  I discussed it here before, and we had discussions about the
various merits, or unmerits of different languages.  I really was
planning to learn C++, after you guys convinced me to not target C#.  I
have, sitting next to me, some of the best C++ textbooks out there,
including one by the inventor of C++.  The problem is, no disrespect to
the authors, that these things are BORING, and intimidating.  I mean, I
have to go through 400 pages of for next loops, if then's, and variable
setting, etc. to even get to putting a GUI hello world program on the
screen.  And, that's IF they even discuss GUI programming.  Now, I know
you have to learn the basics, and I know these things are foundational,
but I think this is the least enticing way to teach it.  Not only that,
programming desktop computers doesn't excite me nearly as much now as it
did a decade and a half ago when it was relatively new.  Embedded
programming interests me to a point, and I could do that in C++
sometimes, but I don't necessarily want to be programming thermostats
and microwave ovens either.  Robotics interests me, but it can be very
difficult and expensive to develop your own robotics lab.

The other thing that interests me that I might be able to start
development for on my own, is mobile computing, specifically Android.  I
recently heard that Android is the most popular smart phone OS on the
planet.  And, it's pretty much the only game in town for non IOS
tablets.  The thing is, you program Android in Java.  So, I have to
choose between Java and C++ since I cannot really learn two languages at
once.  So, I've decided to jump over to Java, before investing lots of
time in C++, which I may come back to later.  By the way, my
introductory Java and Android books are just as boring as the C++ books,
but I guess I'll muddle through.

So, having said all that, do you guys have any thoughts on setting up a
cross platform Java development environment, learning Java, learning
Android, etc.  I'm thinking using the Sun / Oracle JDK on both Windows
and Linux, plus the Eclipse IDE, and whatever device emulators the
Android books recommend.  When I can, I'll get an Android tablet to try
things out on.  I have two good books on Android 2 from Apress.  They've
now come out with similar books on Android 3.  All of them say to learn
Java first though.  I think there will be a lot of Android 2 out there
for a while, so it might be fine to start with the books I have.  Any
thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Maybe, someday 8-( I'll see a GUI hello world that I created on a tablet
device.  The very large learning curve for this is intimidating and
frustrating.

Sincerely,

Ron