[ale] Anyone know if this is true?

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Oct 13 10:47:41 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

This thread has prompted me to do a bit of research to try to see if I
can find a consensus on the swap size issue.  At the moment, it seems
like ask 100 people and get 100 different opinions.  I haven't uncovered
enough data to tabulate and summarize it at this point.  I'm pretty sure
my linux machines have plenty of swap for applications.  I have 8 GB of
swap on two machines which have 8 GB of RAM.  If I look at the system
monitor program in Gnome, it looks like the swap is rarely ever
touched.  By the way, having 8 GB of RAM in a laptop is a nice, new,
liberating experience for me.  It's really nice to be able to open
several dozen browser tabs and a dozen or more applications without the
machine even breathing too hard.  This is my first laptop capable of
that.  I also have 8 GB of swap on a machine with 4 GB of RAM, so it
should be sitting pretty, so to speak.  I haven't found anything that
says extra swap is harmful.  What I don't know, is whether the two 8 GB
machines would be able to hibernate (suspend to disk) properly, if the
swap is equal to the RAM.  I may have to increase the swap on those to
10 GB - 12 GB.  This is not an issue in Windows since it uses a separate
hibernate file.

In my research, I found this article (
http://lukasz.szmit.eu/2009/11/compcache-swap-on-linux-desktop.html ).
The article is a bit old, but this talks about a fascinating project
called Compcache.  Here's a quote from the page:

---> quote on <---

Compcache is an open source project implementing an innovative approach
to swap. This has been done before, but not for swap. Users of DOS and
early Windows versions will remember DoubleSpace/DriveSpace, which was
used to virtually expand available disk space, by storing files in a
compressed form. Compcache does exactly that, but for swap, by creating
a new block device in the system which interfaces with the special
compressed memory region in RAM. On the plus side, Compcache can also be
configured to use an alternative swap device when the RAM swap area is full.

---> quote off <---

I think that is a really cool idea for low resource machines.  While I
don't know if I'll ever use it, since my modern machines have a decent
amount of RAM, it could really benefit older, smaller machines.  For
example, I have an old IBM Thinkpad with 160 MB (yes MB) of RAM.  I've
pretty much retired the machine.  It does run a GUI based version of
Linux, just barely, but is painfully slow.  The old 300 MHz processor
doesn't help much either.  I think I have an old version of Lubuntu on
it.  Anyway, this type of technology could give the machine more
breathing room by compressing the memory, so it would be like having 256
MB of RAM.  I also have an old Toshiba laptop which is topped out at 1
GB or RAM.  Both Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP run pretty well.  However,
I could compress 512 MB of RAM and then effectively have 512 MB or
normal RAM and 1 GB of swap.

Here's the link for the Compcache project:
http://code.google.com/p/compcache/

Here's an interesting quote from their site: "With compcache at
hypervisor level, we can compress /any/ part of /guest/ memory
transparently."

Now, while I'll admit I don't understand all the implications of that
statement, it looks like you could essentially compress all the RAM if
running a lightweight hypervisor and running your OS as a guest.

The project website also points out that embedded systems could benefit
from the technology, where you have to justify every chip you put into a
device.

Finally, here is an interesting quote from the original article:

---> quote on <---

On my desktop, a Dell Precision S390 with 2GB DDR2 RAM and a Maxtor
Diamond Max 9 80GB drive, I am getting the following hdparm results
(average of three runs) for my disk swap, and my compcache swap:

    * Swap on disk: 58MB/s
    * Compcache swap: 557MB/s

An order of magnitude better bandwidth at no expense? I like that.

---> quote off <---

I like that idea too.  I'd like to know what you guys think of this concept.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.