[ale] Dennis Ritchie

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Oct 13 08:34:49 EDT 2011

Jim Kinney wrote:
> He did more good for the world of computing than Jobs, Gates, Ellison
> and McNealy combined.

Crap.  Do I have to agree with Kinney? :)  I agree wholeheartedly.  I
won't say Linux would not be here today without the work Dennis did, but
certainly, Linux owes a lot to Dennis.

He had a great sense of humor.  Was so down to earth.  The first time I
met him, he gave a presentation to a group of AT&T folks here in
Atlanta.  Many folks were from out of town.  I was introduced to him as
a local.  After his presentation, he walked up to me and asked me, since
I was a local, where should we eat.  We walked across Peachtree to the
little mall across the way and had lunch, about 25 geeks total.  I'll
never forget that day.  He was so full of humor and wisdom.

He will be missed.