[ale] OT: don't see attachment sent from Outlook

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Oct 11 11:16:07 EDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 10:34 AM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> So, I have a client who uses outlook for email.  When he sends me an
> attachment, all I get is a winmail.dat attachment.  I've tried opening
> the same emails using thunderbird and kmail on Centos same thing.  Using
>   the mac email client, same thing.  If I open it in webmail, same thing.
>
> Weird thing is, if he sends it to his personal email which he reads with
> kmail, he gets the attachments.  If the then forwards that email from
> his personal email, I see the attachment.
>
> Anyone have a solution?
>
> (other then NOT using outlook, it's a corporate standard for them)

What do YOUR mail server logs show?  Is it dropping the attachment as a
virus or other non-approved file?

Did you ask him to change the file extension?

How large is the file?  Many email servers have "reasonable" limits on
file sizes.

Is he sending HTML email or text-only?  It really shouldn't matter, but
I've seen that be an issue too.

Generally, this sort of issue is not with your client software. It is
the mail server "protecting" you.