[ale] [OT] nostalgia - Happy 30th birthday IBM PC

Chris Ness luxomni at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 20:48:22 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 12:31 -0400, Ron Frazier wrote:

> Happy 30th birthday to the IBM PC.  This is from Wikipedia.
>
> "IBM announced the PC on August 12, 1981. Six weeks later at COMDEX
> Fall, Tecmar had 20 PC products available for sale. These products
> included memory expansion, IEEE-488, data acquisition, and PC Expansion
> chassis Pricing for the IBM PC started at $1,565 for a bare-bones
> configuration without disk drives."

That was the Comdex here in Atlanta. I was working as a union stagehand
at that time doing, among other things, conventions and trade shows. By
coincidence I was assigned to IBM setting up their private suite on the
top floor of the (then small) Georgia World Congress Center and their
booth down on the floor.. I remember this one not just because I was an
early Apple ][ owner, but because we never got to see the product.
Whenever we came into the suite, we had to wait at the door for them to
cover the computer. This was most unusual. I have to laugh now when I
think about all that secrecy, and what that early five slot PC was. But
they did get better later,